Citizens are being urged to be aware of jury duty scams. Scammers typically impersonate clerk employees, law enforcement or other government officials and threaten that if money is not paid the individual will be arrested. THIS IS A SCAM. Read on...
You are expected to report for jury duty on the date shown on your summons. If you believe that you do not qualify because of one of the reasons below, you may complete your jury excusal request form online. Read on...
Jury Pool # 553 has been scheduled for Dec 11, 2023. Check-in will begin at 7:30am at the Citrus County Courthouse. Read on...
If you were summoned for Jury Pool #555 scheduled for January 4, 2024, your service is still required. Please report to the 1st floor of the Citrus County Courthouse. Check in will begin promptly at 8:30 am. Read on...
If you were summoned for Jury Pool #554 scheduled for Monday, January 8, 2024, your service is still required. Please report to the 1st floor of the Citrus County Courthouse, BOCC chambers. Check in will begin promptly at 7:30am. Read on...
The right to a trial by jury is one of the principles guaranteed by the United States Constitution. It is the duty of every citizen to serve as a juror when called to do so. Prospective jurors are randomly selected from the Florida Division of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle’s list of driver’s license and identification card holders residing in Citrus County. Jurors must be U.S. citizens at least 18 years of age, legal residents of Citrus County, and possess a driver’s license or identification card issued by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
The Clerk and Comptroller will add the name of any person who is 18 years of age or older and who is a citizen of the United States and a legal resident of Florida and who indicates a desire to serve as a juror, but whose name does not appear on the Florida Division of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle’s list, by requiring such person to execute an affidavit at the office of the clerk.
When to Report
We will provide updates for reporting to jury duty on our homepage in the Clerk Connection "Jury Announcements" section. You will also find updates on our Facebook page www.facebook.com/CitrusCountyClerk. You may also call (352) 341-6471 any time after 5pm on the Friday prior to your appearance date. A recorded message will tell you whether to report. If there is no message or the telephone line is not in operation and you have confirmed that the courthouse is open, please report as directed on the summons. You can also check for reporting information on our website and Facebook page.
You will not be released from jury duty until:
- you have served as a juror on a trial; or
- you have appeared for service and were not selected as a juror; or
- you have been notified by the automated phone system that your service is not needed.
If you fail to appear as directed, you may be fined $100, be found in contempt of court and be ordered to appear for service.
Please detach and mail the bottom portion of your perforated jury summons to request an excusal. Alternatively, you may fill out the excusal form online by clicking here.
You may request a Disqualification if:
- You are under prosecution for a crime
- You are a convicted felon whose civil rights have not been restored
- You are the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, a Cabinet officer, a Clerk of Court, or a Judge
- You are not a U.S. Citizen
- You do not reside in Citrus County, Florida
- You are exempt from jury service because you was summoned and reported for jury duty within one (1) year from the reporting date listed on this summons.
You may request an Excusal if:
- You are over 70 years old and request excusal from this date only
- You are over 70 years old and request permanent exemption from jury duty
- You are an expectant mother
- You are a parent who is not employed full time and have custody of a child under 6 years of age
- You are a full-time law enforcement officer or investigator
- You are responsible for the care of someone mentally or physically unable to care for himself or herself
- You are physically sick or disabled
- You must submit a doctor's certificate by fax to 352-341-6413 or by email to JuryExcusals@citrusclerk.org.
- Failure to provide will result in denial of your request.
- You are a practicing attorney or physician
- You are a full-time student between 18 and 21 years of age.
For additional jury related information, click on the link below to view the Handbook for Jurors pamphlet.