Property but No Dependent / Minor Children


May be used when a husband or wife is filing for a dissolution of marriage, and the husband and wife have marital assets and/or marital liabilities but they do not have any dependent children, nor is the wife now pregnant. You and/or your spouse must have lived in Florida for at least 6 months before filing for a dissolution in Florida.

If you and your spouse agree on all issues and both can attend the hearing, you may want to file a simplified dissolution of marriage petition, Florida Family Law Rules of Procedure Form 12.901 (a). However, you cannot file for a simplified dissolution of marriage if any of the following are true:
  • You disagree about property, debts, or other matters and wish to have a judge settle them for you.
  • Either you or your spouse is seeking support (alimony).
  • You would like to ask questions and get documents concerning your spouse's income, expenses, assets, debts, or other matters before having a trial or settlement.
  • You would like to reserve your rights to have any matters reconsidered or appeal the judge's decision.