If your wedding was postponed due to venue and/or officiant cancellation due to COVID-19, please contact our office to discuss options available to you.
For more information and to schedule your appointment, access our website at www.citrusclerk.org, or call us at (352) 341-6424, option 2. We thank you for your patience and understanding.
Marriage applications are issued pursuant to Florida Statute 741. All couples wishing to get married must apply for a marriage license. Both applicants must appear in person and bring a valid driver license, passport or state identification card. If either applicant was previously married, the date the prior marriage ended by divorce, annulment or death is required.
The Marriage Kiosk provides a quick and efficient option for the applicants to enter their information from their personal computer. After the information is entered, you must proceed to the customer service counter at the Clerk's Annex. A valid photo ID is required for each applicant.
Premarital Preparation Course
If both applicants are Florida residents they may wish to take a premarital preparation course, through a registered premarital provider. The applicants must apply for the marriage application within one year from the course completion date. The premarital course is not mandated, but will waive the three day waiting period and reduce the license fee from $86.00 to $61.00.
Each applicant shall verify completion of the course by filing with the application a valid certificate of completion from the course provider, which certificate shall specify whether the course was completed by personal instruction, videotape instruction, instruction via other electronic medium, or a combination of those methods. All applicants who complete a premarital preparation course pursuant to this section must be issued a certificate of completion at the conclusion of the course by their course provider.
If a premarital course is not attended by both applicants, the license will not be valid until three days after issuance. Exceptions to the waiting period are non-Florida residents applying for a license, and persons asserting hardships which are determined by the County Court Judge. For state residents, a County Court Judge may waive the three day waiting period for good cause. The completed form must be turned into our office by one or both parties prior to applying for a marriage license.
The following are the requirements for marriage applications:
- Both applicants must be at least 18 years of age to apply without parental consent
- If either applicant is under the age of 18 years but at least 17 years of age, a birth certificate and proof of identification is required, along with notarized written consent form of the parents or guardian. The older party to the marriage cannot be more than two years older than the younger party to the marriage
- A blood test is not required
- A $86.00 fee is required payable by cash, credit card, check, or money order payable to the Clerk of the Circuit Court. All credit card transactions are subject to a 3.5% non-refundable fee, assessed by a third-party payment processor (nCourt)
- When applying for a marriage license, upon furnishing a valid certificate of completion from a premarital course conducted by a registered premarital provider the application fee shall be reduced from $86.00 to $61.00.
- A printed copy of the premarital course completion certificate must be presented to the Clerk of the Circuit Court for filing to receive the application fee reduction.
The marriage license is valid for sixty (60) days after the date of issuance, and may be used anywhere in the State of Florida. The completed license must be returned to the Clerk's Annex office for recording within ten (10) days after the marriage is performed.
After the license is recorded in the Official Records, one certified copy is provided as part of the marriage license fee. Additional certified copies may be purchased for $3 each. The original license is sent to the Florida Department of Health and Vital Statistics for permanent filing.