In accordance with review by legal counsel and the clarification received by the Clerk's Office through Judge Hinkle's order, effective January 6, 2015, the Clerk's Office will issue same-gender marriage licenses.
Marriage applications are issued pursuant to Florida Statute 741.
All couples wishing to get married must apply for a marriage license. Both applicants must appear in person and bring a valid driver license, passport or state identification card. If either applicant was previously married, the date the prior marriage ended by divorce, annulment or death is required.
The Marriage Kiosk provides a quick and efficient option for the applicants to enter their information from their personal computer. After the information is entered, you must proceed to the customer service counter at the Inverness Courthouse. Please remember to bring a valid photo ID with you.
Premarital Preparation Course
If both applicants are Florida residents they may wish to take a premarital preparation course, through a registered premarital provider (PDF). The marriage application must be applied for within the year the premarital course was taken. The premarital course is not mandated, but will waive the three day waiting period and reduce the license fee from $86.00 to $61.00.
If a premarital course is not attended by both applicants, the license will not be valid until three days after issuance. Exceptions to the waiting period are non-Florida residents applying for a license, and persons asserting hardships which are determined by the County Court Judge. For state residents, a County Court Judge may waive the three day waiting period (PDF) for good cause. The completed form must be turned into our office by one or both parties prior to applying for a marriage license.
The following are the requirements for marriage applications:
- Both applicants must be at least 18 years of age to apply without parental consent
- If either applicant is under the age of 18 years but at least 17 years of age, a birth certificate and proof of identification is required, along with notarized written consent form (PDF) of the parents or guardian. The older party to the marriage cannot be more than two years older than the younger party to the marriage
- A blood test is not required
- A $86.00 fee is required payable by cash, credit card, check, or money order payable to the Clerk of the Circuit Court. All credit card transactions are subject to a 3.5% non-refundable fee, assessed by a third-party payment processor (nCourt)
- When applying for a marriage license, upon furnishing a valid certificate of completion from a premarital course conducted by a registered premarital provider (PDF) the application fee shall be reduced from $86.00 to $61.00.
- A printed copy of the premarital course completion certificate must be presented to the Clerk of the Circuit Court for filing to receive the application fee reduction.
After the license is recorded in the Official Records, one certified copy is provided as part of the marriage license fee. Additional certified copies may be purchased for $3 each. The original license is sent to the Florida Department of Health and Vital Statistics for permanent filing.
Contact us for more information:
Note: Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send email to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.